Saturday 30 April 2011

The ones the got away - Emo

It has been pointed out to me that this series is (inadvertently) providing a 'hit list' for the wreckovators. Sadly, as I said in my first post, the (misplaced) zeal of architectural modernists has by no means been abated either by the pastoral failure of their plans, the increasing poverty of the country or by Pope Benedict's hermenutic of continuity. If I were to make a guess, nothing this side of the grave is going to abate their zeal to destroy beauty.

Another example of the beauty of traditional ecclesiastical architecture is the Church of St. Paul at Emo, Co. Laois, which has been featured several times on this blog and which has occasionally welcomed the celebration of Mass in the Usus Antiquior since the promulgation of Summorum Ponfiticum.

The details of the Church will be found on previous posts here and here but I include a few of the earlier pictures by way of illustration:







It's our Catholic heritage and we want it preserved!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a fantastic church.

Random Thinker said...

I agree. I never went inside but I pass it sometimes on the way to Dublin. I must go look next time. The country churches of Ireland deserve better. TG this one got away.

Charlie said...

I want to congratulate this blog also on featuring the architectural heritage that is so essential a part of Christian heritage. They may only be bricks and mortar but they are the embodyment of the spiritual genius of a people. This is an awesome place and the house of God.