Thursday 8 October 2009

Novena in honour of the Blessed Gerard - Day 4

Day Four
Guardian of Christ’s Poor

Gerard was called the ‘guardian of Christ’s poor’ (procurator pauperum Christi – in a document of Bishop Ademar di Rodez, 1120). Procurator can mean administrator or governor, but also representative, who acts on someone’s behalf in court. Through his works, Gerard was the defender of the poor, the weak, the abandoned. The term ‘Christ’s poor’ shows us that obsequium pauperum is a service rendered not only to the poor but also to Christ himself: “for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me” ( Mt. xxv:35-37).

Prayer

Lord Jesus Christ, Saviour, Redeemer, let us recognize you in the poor, the sick and the stranger.
Lord hear our prayer.
Bless and protect all the goods of the earth and give to all their daily bread.
Lord hear our prayer.
Call forth vocations for your service alone.
Lord hear our prayer.
Grant unto us the strength of the Holy Spirit to give of ourselves for the persecuted and oppressed, whether it suits us or not.
Lord hear our prayer.

Our Father... Hail Mary... Glory be to the Father…

Pray for us, Blessed Gerard
That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let us Pray.
O God, you show to those in error the light of your truth that they may return to the right path; grant that all who profess the Christian faith may reject those things which are contrary to that name and follow such things that are appropriate to it. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen. (Collect for Sunday XV of the Year)